Things not to do to your hair
Things not to do to your hair
Dont’s for your hair are as important as the do’s. Whether you are a teenage girl or grandmother of three, there is no end to hair fall – right from the onset of your first menstrual cycle to the menopausal stage. Here’s our list of 25 things you shouldn’t be doing to your hair…
1. Do not use an anti dandruff shampoo on a regular basis, especially the over the counter ones as these can lead to hair damage.
2. Do not keep artificial colours in your hair all through the year, once it runs out let your hair be the colour it is, at least for a period of 2-3 months before you go for that streaking/global colouring treatment again.
3. Do not get multiple treatments like colouring and straightening at/around same time. Give your hair some rest.
4. Do not comb wet hair rigorously. Patience is the key for healthy tresses and also wet hair will shed more, so avoid combing them again and again.
5. Do not indulge in too many hair packs like vinegar and eggs, etc in one go. Overdoing hair packs can cause severe alterations in hair health.
6. Do not over-use hair styling gels. Stay away from chemical-heavy hair straightening gels and lotions that promise ‘soft’ hair with just one dab of ointment.
7. Avoid over-use of hair sunscreens, but conditioners can fulfill this task quite well.
8. Use a wide toothed comb if hair fall is present. Please do not use a combing brush or small comb. Also, avoid sharing your comb with others especially when you do not know their scalp coniditon.
9. If you have scalp psoriasis and also dandruff then do not oil your hair. As oil is like a meal for malasezia yeast that is the causative organism for dandruff.
10. Do not tie your tresses in a bun all the time, if you have long hair. This can lead to traction alopecia and lead to hairfall as well.
11. Do not use the same shampoo for months together. It’s always a good idea to keep changing the brand.
12. Do not tumble dry hair as this is rough on hair follicles and causes root damage and hair loss.
13. Do not pick up hair serums without checking their ingredients with professionals first.
14. Do not go for a hair transplant at a very early age. However, if the balding is a lot and you feel the need for a transplant, then simply try a hair line restoration.
15. Do not tie wet hair as they are weak then, and the traction could lead to hair fall.
16. Don’t let post pregnancy hair fall bother you, as this is normal and will subside as the weeks go by.
17. Do not use a home hair straightening iron more than twice a month.
18. Do not leave the head rollers on your hair over night or atleast not for more than 3-4 hours.
19. Do not go for head oil/powder massages if you are suffering from hair fall as this can lead to more root damage and hair fall. Also, most of the hair oils are only like an external conditioner and cannot get absorbed into the scalp.
20. Do not waste time on self medications if you suffer from hair fall or other scalp issues. Visit a dermatologist and remember it’s normal to lose up to 100 hair follicles a day.